The Creator Space
The Sir Harry Oakes Room was, for many years, home to our Local History collection. We have since relocated those materials to climate-controlled storage for proper preservation.
The room has been repurposed as a recording studio, textile art makerspace, and editing and conversion lab… your Creator Space.
Below is more information about the available equipment and services, along with guides for getting started and relevant learning resources.
Using the Creator Space
To begin using the space, please book an appointment with a staff member using the button below. We are doing our best to make the room as available as possible but if there are no open appointments on the calendar, please reach out to us by phone at 905-356-8080 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to get on the Creator Space Waiting List and we'll get you using the room as soon as we can
We have a Phrozen Sonic Mighty 4k (SLA/resin) 3D Printer
Phrozen Sonic Mighty 4k
- SLA/Stereolithography, which means layers of resin are cured by light.
- Build area: 200mm x 125mm x 220mm
- High detail, dimensional accuracy, higher-cost.
- Ideal use: models and miniatures, display art, templates and non-functional prototypes.
Audio & Video Recording
We have a full editing workstation centered around a 27” Apple iMac and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio interface to handle all connection needs, as well as the following software:
- Logic Pro (music-making and audio-editing)
- Ableton Live Lite (music-making and audio-editing)
- Pro Tools First (music-making and audio-editing)
- Audacity (audio-editing)
- LMMS (child-friendly music-making)
- Garageband (beginner-friendly music-making and audio-editing)
- Serato DJ Lite (beat-making and DJing)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (video-editing and effects--namely Premiere Pro, Audition, and After Effects)
- iMovie (beginner-friendly video-editing)
Available audio recording hardware includes: studio monitors, vocal microphones (a Shure SM7B and AudioTechnica AT2035), extra microphones for sound reinforcement, an analog mixer, pop filters, acoustic treatment, sound shields, an electric guitar and amp, an acoustic guitar, assorted smaller instruments, music stands, tablet mounts, along with:
- Numark Mixtrack Pro FX (DJ controller)
- Akai MPK Mini MkIII (MIDI controller with keys, pads, DAW control)
- Alesis Nitro Mesh Kit (e-drums)
- Yamaha R-115 (digital piano with hammer-action keys and MIDI-out)
Video recording tools include: a Canon Vixia HF G20 (video camera), an HD capture card for streaming, a stabilization gimbal for mobile devices, a tripod, directional lighting, a wall-height greenscreen, and cables for almost every kind of connection.
Textile Arts - New for Winter 2021
Clothing design? Costume ideas? Repairs? T-shirts for your trivia team? We have what you need to tackle any DIY fabric project. Tools and machines include:
- Brother SE1900 sewing and embroidery machine
- Janome SUV1122 sewing machine
Our Janome sewing machine sits just outside the Creator Space, so it is bookable separately from the room! CLICK HERE to book your timeslot now!
- Juki MO-1000 serger
- PowerPress HPM-1515 heat press
- 38cm square heated area.
- Addi Express King Size knitting machine
- Creates circular items approximately 35cm across, or plain knitted items up to 45cm wide.
- Cricut Explore Air 2 digital design cutter
- Cut vinyl transfers, fabric design pieces, cardstock gifts, etc.
- Software for creating designs or converting images is available on our iMac.
Graphic Arts and 3D Design
We have a second editing workstation with a 27” Apple iMac and a Wacom Cintiq 16 drawing tablet and pen, and the following software:
- Adobe Creative Cloud (image-editing, design, and drawing--namely Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator, and InDesign)
- Autodesk AutoCAD (3D design)
- Autodesk Meshmixer (3D file editing)
- Blender (3D design and animation)
- GIMP (image-editing)
- Inkscape (vector graphic editing and design) with Ink/Stitch extension (https://inkstitch.org/docs/install-macos/) (embroidery design)
Our Memory Lab cart consists of a Windows PC with video, image, and editing software, as well as tools that provide the ability to digitize:
- Print images and photographs
- Slides as well as colour and black & white negatives on 110, 126, and 135mm cartridges
- Audio cassettes, CDs, and DVDs.
- Vinyl records
- VHS and VHS-C
- 8mm and Super8 film