Power at Niagara
Legends and Folklore of Niagara
Spirits of Three Sisters Islands
Accessible from Goat Island, the Three Sisters Islands are located just beyond the Canada/U.S. border in Niagara Falls, New York. The islands are named after Celinda, Angelina, and Asenath Whitney, daughters of General Parkhurst Whitney of Niagara Falls, New York. General Whitney was one of the more prominent early settlers of Niagara Falls, New York. The General moved to Niagara Falls, N.Y. in 1810 and is best known as the founder and operator of the Cataract House Hotel located near the upper rapids just above the falls. General Whitney’s daughters are believed to be the first settlers to have trekked to the three small islands. Before European settlers arrived in North America, Iroquois shamans made sacrifices of food and gifts on the islands and communed with He-No (Mighty Thunderer), the spirit who dwells in the mist-enshrouded cave at the base of the falls. Modern day psychics believe any one can hear the voices of the spirits if they listen carefully while visiting the Three Sisters Islands.