Power at Niagara
Legends and Folklore of Niagara
The first Lundy house was a small log cabin built by William and Nancy Lundy and their children, a family of Quakers who emigrated from the former British Colony of Pennsylvania around 1790. The second Lundy house was built in front of the log cabin which was then used as a summer kitchen for a number of years. The road the Lundys opened up from their house to Portage Road along an old Indian trail officially became the public road known as Lundy’s Lane in 1803. During the War of 1812, the Lundy House was used as a rest stop by soldiers on their way to the Battle of Lundy’s Lane (25 July 1814), considered one of the fiercest and bloodiest clashes of the War of 1812. After the battle, the house also served as a hospital for the wounded. The house remained in Lundy family ownership until it was torn down in 1997 to make way for the Canada One Factory Outlet Mall.
Residents of the area have seen the ghosts of three British soldiers marching up Drummond Hill on their way to the Lundy House.